SheReadsTruth is hosting Friday devotionals during Lent. Check out their website to be a part of this amazing teaching experience!
So, my home church did a sermon over Psalm 38 this past Sunday, and ironically this was the scripture for the week. So, I’m going to take a little what he said, and tie it in with my own thoughts. Enjoy!
Dealing with Depression – Psalm 38
OUCH! Depression. I’m not depressed. Why does this term keep coming up? I know it’s not directly to me, but the other time it came up this week, it was. Sure, I have a bad day from time to time, but depressed? I don’t see it.
Proverbs – God’s Rules for living wisely
Wisdom- Right choices at the right time
Security & Protection- First step is SALVATION
Discernment & Guidance- Follow God; judgement/right & wrong/TRUST God
Proverbs 3:5-6 says, “Trust Him & He will guide your path.”
I do trust Him. He’s got total control of my life. I know I can’t do it on my own. Or do I?
Depression is built by:
2) An unbiblical attitude about life
3) Wrong priorities – Can’t meet the challenges of life… I feel like that sometimes, ok, a lot of times. I feel like I let people down, when in all truth, I’m just trying to be the best mom/wife I can be… I fall short.
4) Living an unbiblical standard
5) Self-centered – See Acts 20:25… Maybe a little, but who isn’t?
6) Failure to understand the nature of adversity, affliction, & difficulties… yeah
James 1:2-4 says to “Consider it pure joy…”
How can you grow if you aren’t challenged?
So, How do we deal with this?
Pray, Ask God to help. Thank God for the difficulties in your life, because that means you are growing! And Trust God!
What controls you through your trials? What is seen is temperal, the unseen is eternal!
“What I do, God is wait for you, wait for my Lord, my God- You will answer!” (MSG)
So, what will I do?
I will TRUST God. He is my SAFE PLACE. He will STRENTGTHEN my spirit… All so I might be CONTENT with who I am.
Additional scripture to look at:
James 1:2-4… Consider it…
Psalm 46:11… God is a safe place…
Proverbs 3:5-6… TRUST…
Ephesians 3:18… STRENGTHEN my spirit…
1 Peter 5:7… Be CONTENT